General Josiah Harmar Chapter

 

Our History

 

The General Josiah Harmar Chapter, NSDAR, was organized by twelve women. The name was chosen to honor General Josiah Harmar who, following the Treaty of Peace, September 7, 1783, was chosen by Congress in 1784 to carry the ratification of the treaty of Paris and deliver it to Benjamin Franklin. In 1785, Harmar was appointed Indian Agent for the Northwest Territory. In 1787, he was brevetted Adjutant General of the Pennsylvania Militia. He resigned February 27, 1799.

 

A gavel was turned from a piece of the dispatch chest that contained General Josiah Harmarís papers, which were purchased by the William Clements Library, University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. Josiah Harmar, IV, made possible an inscribed silver band on the head of the gavel and presented it to the chapter.

 

 

General Josiah Harmar was born November 10, 1753, at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and was educated in a Quaker school. He married Sarah Jenkins of Philadelphia on October 19, 1784. He died August 20, 1813, at his estate, The Retreat, near Philadelphia and was buried in the churchyard of Saint James Church of Kingsessing, Protestant Episcopal, 6838 Woodland Avenue, Philadelphia, PA, Section A, Lot 61. His grave is marked by a table type stone with a fourteen line inscription on the flat surface. It is also marked with an SAR Insignia Marker.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The DAR Insignia is the property of, and is copyrighted by, the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution
Web hyperlinks to non-DAR sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters.

 

Last updated April, 2013